Mac Halo Tutorials
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mac Halo Tutorials

Think, Create, Repeat.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing UTF with HEX Editor

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Macsforever
Admin
Admin
Macsforever

Male Number of posts : 78
Modding Status : Trick Master
Registration date : 2007-07-05

Changing UTF with HEX Editor Empty
PostSubject: Changing UTF with HEX Editor   Changing UTF with HEX Editor Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2007 1:54 pm

R.O.U.S. wrote:
ive posted this tutorial on like 3 other sites but people still ask all the time how to do this, so here it is

To change in game phrases, such as "was killed by" or "died"
any of the displayed text while playing is located within the map you are on
ill use death island as an example

first if you don't already have a hex editor, get one

here

save yourself some trouble and download a hex calculator, you can get one here

if you would like to learn more about a ASCII read here

ok now open the map that you want to change the words or phrases in with any hexeditor

first of all, you will need to do a hex conversion. use a hex calculator to take the word you want to replace and covert it to hex, example: "was killed by" coverted to hex is...
"77 61 73 20 6b 69 6c 6c 65 64 20 62 79"
w a s _ k i l l e d _ b y

you may have noticed that where there is a space between words the hex number is 20. that is because in hex a space is 20. got it? well were not done.

now you wont actually be able to find the word you just converted to hex with the hex finder yet, this is because between each letter is a period, so "was killed by" is actually .w.a.s. .k.i.l.l.e.d. .b.y.
in hex these periods equal 00

alright, were now ready to do a hex search. lets look for "was killed by" which we now know in hex means
00 77 00 61 00 73 00 20 00 6b 00 69 00 6c 00 6c 00 65 00 64 00 20 00 62 00 79 00

make sure you always enter it in the proper fashion 2 bits then a space.

you should see %.s. .w.a.s. .k.i.l.l.e.d. .b.y. %.s. highlighted. now replace it with the word of your choice
in hex

example: replace w.a.s. .k.i.l.l.e.d. .b.y. with .g.o.t. .n.o.o.b.e.d. .b.y. which in hex is
00 67 00 6f 00 74 00 20 00 6e 00 6f 00 6f 00 62 00 65 00 64 00 20 00 62 00 79 00

you can experiment with overwriting any of the words, they don't have to fit perfectly, but it can be tricky.

for any of the map descriptions, map names, and other things can be found by opening the UI map.

you should know that when editing the UTF the % character refers to the name of the person. for example in the string %.s. .w.a.s. .k.i.l.l.e.d. .b.y. %.s. %=R0US or "R0US".s. .w.a.s. .k.i.l.l.e.d. .b.y.

20= a space

00 = .

% = name

\h = highlight this highlights the text string and makes it goldish

\s = italics
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/macsoftware/

Changing UTF with HEX Editor
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mac Halo Tutorials :: Mac Halo Modding Tutorials :: Modding Pro-
Jump to: